I am an adventure seeking wife and mother first! Travel, and endorphins are my best friends. I will try anything once, unless I know
I would be in danger. I have a crazy love of God, running, triathlon, the outdoors, dirt, wine, friends, good Vegan food, Yoga,
animals, happiness, and life! I truly believe the only limits in life are the ones set by ourselves. So get out there and expand the limits!!
~~Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year from North Idaho


I have to say that winters in North Idaho and the Pacific North West are nothing short of spectacular.  Starting with that first snow up in the mountains, that looks like God took a small amount of powdered sugar and sprinkled the mountain tops, to our first snow down town, to now, day after day of snow fall.  Piling in the yard, piling powder in the mountains for epic ski days.  I just love it.  Everywhere I look outside my windows I can see white.  My pine trees are heavy-laden and their branches are bowing low.  The mountain I live on and can see from my windows is no longer just sprinkled, but pummeled with snow.  Amazing!
Things in our household are coming back together after taking a nice long break from homeschooling.  The time off was great, and it really recharged us.  We had a fantastic Christmas.  Having family here from California was awesome, and we had a great time hanging out, playing games, and even took a sleigh ride up in Sandpoint, ID at Western Pleasure Guest Ranch.  If you ever get the chance, do it.


We had a blast on New Years ringing in 2011 with our favorite friends.  New Years eve day, we took off and went skiing at Lookout Pass with some friends.  It was a beautiful day.



We came home that night, and prepared for our evening with friends at our house.  LOT’S of food, lot’s of great wine, and any other beverage you could imagine with “bartender Corey” manning the bar, and a lot of laughter and silliness with friends, playing Xbox Kinect  Dance Central. What a fun game.  We danced our butts off.  And, of course, champagne toast at midnight, with lots of poppers, horns and noisemakers.  Just the way the New Year should start.  The next morning, we got up, and Greg made our “slumber partiers” breakfast, and then we headed out for a day of snowshoeing.  Greatest thing is, this snowshoeing trail leaves right from my house…how convenient.  We all figured that we wanted to do something physical with friends, to start the year off right.  Again, an epic day.  Deep, deep snow, crystal sunny blue skies, snow angels (yes, I am referring to us girls) made in the snow along our trek, and again lots of laughter.  Seems to be a pattern with our group. =)
It was the best way to start 2011!











Now we are moving back into school, work, gymnastics, theatre (CYT), carpooling, and of course back to training.  Our first race will be Wildflower ½ Ironman in California.  With maybe a sprinkling of some 5, 10K’s or a ½ marathon early spring. (Still deciding on that), Wildflower just seems to be our kickoff for the season.  So we are hitting the bike (trainer) hitting the pool with our amazing coaches, and hitting the pavement (yes, I still love running outside in all of this white stuff) and now we have added TRX for our strength workouts….WOW!  Great workout! Try it!
As far as New Years resolutions, I don’t really make any.  I think I make resolutions to myself everyday of the year, to be a better Mother, wife, friend.  To train hard, to work on some new recipes, to continue to devour books, to laugh and learn something new every single day, and have an attitude of gratitude towards all things in my life, good and bad. I think waking up everyday, starting with prayer, and setting my mind in motion of how this ONE day will be, makes it simpler than making a grand resolution one night, and trying to play it out for the next 365 days.

Happy New Year!  How about you?  Resolutions? Goals for 2011?


4 comments:

  1. Always love your updates, Paula. I wish I was disciplined enough to record my adventures! I don't make New Year's resolutions either, but the second gathering I went to (after stopping by your party for awhile -- so FUN!)included a "what are you getting rid of?" ceremony. We write down on a slip of paper the one thing that we don't want in our life anymore, put it all in a pot, take it outside and burn them! Bye-Bye fear of the swim for me!! :) Love ya, sweets. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, you are so lucky to live where you live. Happy New Year and enjoy your training!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pic of Costa Rica. Was that you surfing in it? What beach was it taken at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Yes, it is me. The picture was taken in Esterillos Oeste. That is where we love to stay when visiting CR.

    ReplyDelete