I am an adventure seeking wife and mother first! Travel, and endorphins are my best friends. I will try anything once, unless I know
I would be in danger. I have a crazy love of God, running, triathlon, the outdoors, dirt, wine, friends, good Vegan food, Yoga,
animals, happiness, and life! I truly believe the only limits in life are the ones set by ourselves. So get out there and expand the limits!!
~~Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Break-Up


Summer has so far proved to be amazing...as usual.  It's my time of year.  My season.  It never disappoints.  Well...OK,  I retract that as sometimes living in the Pacific Northwest our summers are more of a quick blip on the calendar in August.  I love the hot (sometimes but rarely humid) days.  I love waking early, and getting in a run while the sun is rising.  And some days like yesterday, absolutely killing it on a six-mile run in the blistering, heat of the afternoon.  I love that feeling of sore, tired, muscles.  Sweating so much you feel like you've had a complete detox or a good session in the sauna.  Finishing off those miles wondering if your legs will give out on you altogether or if when you stop there will be a puke-explosion!  Now....six-miles is not a lot to run mileage wise, but when your last mile is entirely uphill, it is 85 degrees, full sun, and you feel like you may collapse....that six-miles can feel like your twenty-sixth.
394979_168702396605999_1851752270_n
That hill I speak of, some days it's my best friend.  It's my "cool down" and I walk that 1-mile hill to my house.  Some days it's my worst enemy, as I run it and do repeats on it...either way, I live at the top, and what runs down, must run up!  Yesterday I felt like calling the Hubs for a pick-up at the bottom.  Luckily I didn't have my phone, so it was "tackle this B*tch!"  Glad I did.  The first thing that came out of my mouth, all exasperated, out of breath, sweating like a dog, used up completely, when I got back to the house, and Hubs was sitting on the front porch, in the shade, was "WHY ON EARTH DO WE LIVE AT THE TOP OF A GIANT HILL!!!??"  After I grabbed some water, stretched and cooled out...all I had to do was look around.  Enough said.
Not Such a Bad View Coming Up Our Hill
Not Such a Bad View Coming Up Our Hill
I have officially started training for my Fall marathon.  I am excited!  I of course scoured through different training plans *see last weeks blog post* and
felt pretty good with my decision.  Annnnd.... have since changed my mind.  Go figure!  Thank goodness we are only 2 weeks in.  So switching gears a bit, I decided to use the Hanson Method.  Their book, Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon, just made me laugh.  And I thought, how apropos.  I like the "renegade" part.  Again...Go figure!  Those who know me know that this word "renegade" alone would've sucked me in.
So I am starting this week (yesterday) 3 weeks into their plan.  So far, so good, but it's only been 2 days.  It will be a completely different approach for me, as far as marathon training goes.  My longest run will only be a 16-miler (which I will do 3 times during training) VS a 20 or 22-miler.  They say they train you for the last 16 miles of the marathon and not the first 16.  It's a 6-day a week plan, that incorporates speed, strength and tempo workouts and trains your body to run on tired legs.  From some of my Ultra friends, I hear this is a great approach.  I will be putting in anywhere from 46-62 miles per week.  The reviews are fantastic!  So that's settled....for good this time!
photo
This is What My First 8-weeks Will Look Like (I Started on Week 3)
This is What My First 8-weeks Will Look Like (I Started on Week 3)
On another note, I am sad to say, I am going to be breaking up with my running shoes.  This crushes and breaks my heart.  I do not understand (well I do) why manufacturers need to change-up their shoe's design.  I know as technology and science betters with time, they need to make a change...but OH MY GOSH...do I love my shoes.  Unfortunately since they made a small change, my last 2 pairs have been a little lackluster.  Including my newest pair.  I feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I type, and am now wishing I had been better at hoarding these shoes.  As in buying up 25 pairs while they were so great!  I would've had shoes for a few years.  So now I am left in a quandary, trying to figure out what to switch to.  LUCKILY, I am in early training and have some time to get this worked out.  The break-up will be hard, and I will go through a mourning process, possibly locking myself in my room and listening to old Journey or some Total Eclipse of the Hearts   for a few days.  But like any other break-up, I know something better will come along.
images
images-1
I'd love to hear from you about training plans and shoes.  Which plans have worked and which have not?  Which running shoes have you had a love affair with?  Have there been bad break-ups? How did you cope?  And what was the "something better" that came along??  Was it hard saying Good-Bye?
m223755735

No comments:

Post a Comment