I am an adventure seeking wife and mother first! Travel, and endorphins are my best friends. I will try anything once, unless I know
I would be in danger. I have a crazy love of God, running, triathlon, the outdoors, dirt, wine, friends, good Vegan food, Yoga,
animals, happiness, and life! I truly believe the only limits in life are the ones set by ourselves. So get out there and expand the limits!!
~~Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.


Monday, April 12, 2010

Fifty-Six Miles in the Peloton

 I just love runners, and Triathletes.  There is a certain camaraderie that we all share.  This past Sunday I had the privilege of meeting up with 5 people whom I had never met in my life, and a few of my current training partners, for a 56-mile ride on the Ironman course here in CdA. 
 Along with the awesome Running Mom’s group that I belong to, I also belong to a similar one for Triathletes, namely Ironman Triathletes.  So through discussion boards on a website, we share our training, tricks, plans, nutrition advice, aches, pains, triumphs, goals, and dreams.  So this Sunday, some of us from the group got together for a training ride.  And it was awesome!   There ended up being 12 of us on the ride.  Some I knew, and some I didn’t.  Three from here in my hometown, one awesome woman from Oregon, a great guy from Canada, mixed in with the friends that I currently train with.  It was fun to ride, and get to know everyone.  The best thing, the majority of us, first time Ironman’s.  It was great to talk to them about training, about how nervous we are some days about taking on this huge race.  I found out I am not the only one that has broken down crying after a long training day/week, and thought to myself, “I just can’t do this.”  We talked about nutrition, and what is working for some and not for others.  It was amazing riding in this peloton of cyclist, feeling like we were racing the Tour de France.  Wheels buzzing, gears shifting. It was just an amazing day.  No one was overly competitive, although a few could have been and were AMAZINGLY fast cyclist, but were just out for the training and friendship.  We rode at all different levels, and I am sure that no one felt left out or left behind.  We talked about our fears of cycling, wet roads, drafting etc. As well as great rides and races that we have all done. We shared funny stories about Chamois Butt’r and my new obsession, Hammer Seat Saver, which I am ordering today, and I hear, is the bomb!! 
I will let you know. 
It’s funny, I wonder if all sports are like this? Is there that automatic connection that we feel?  Passing someone running or riding that you know looks like they are struggling....you KNOW that feeling, you FEEL it in your gut for them, and you give them a little nod, or a "great job!" knowing that every step they are taking might be agonizing.  Or passing someone that is having a great run/ride, and giving them the little wave to acknowledge they are looking good, and to keep it up, as well as to say "Hello."  I know in meeting these people, it was like we had known one another forever.  I feel the same way with my Running group.  I have only had the pleasure of meeting one of them so far, but it was the same thing…like we had known one another forever.  I used to find it funny, that you could meet people online, and really connect with them, but you can.  I have! I look forward to meeting more women from my Running group, and more of my Tri group.  I love that the simplest things like riding a bike or lacing up a pair of running shoes, can enable you to make wonderful, life-long friendships.  It’s great to have people that can relate to you in a way that so many others can’t.  They understand the triumphs and tragedies, the highs and lows, and are able to pump you up when needed, and empathize with you, even if it’s about saddle sores, and shin splints.

4 comments:

  1. I think there is a connection with other athletes. I have never felt so connected with such a larg group of people on-line before the running group. I have been lucky to meet several of our running mom's and it is always the same, like I have known them my whole life. I hope I get to meet you one day too!

    I am glad you got to meet some fellow Iron Man Triathletes, it is great when you can share the pain and happiness of the training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,
    Good luck at the Adventure Race this weekend! It looks like a good time. I live in Helena and found you via iamtri/cda2010. I will be in town a few times before race day and hope to connect with the group to ride the course. Kick butt!! Rebecca (runningrebeccaMT on blogspot)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It is so very true. I think it's awesome that you got to meet some new people for a ride and to share stories, training issues, etc. with. I think the running/triathlon community is amazing! We all know and understand what it takes to train and accomplish a goal, and that is what makes the community so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there!
    i wanna hear about your 10 hr adventure race!;-)

    ReplyDelete